The VWAP Bands indicator that we developed for Ninjatrader 8 can display 9 lines :
- The VWAP line in green in the middle stands for “Volume Weighted Average Price” (see more about why this line is so important below)
- A standard deviation line below and above the VWAP (noted -1 and +1 in the screenshot below)
- A double standard deviation line below and above the previous lines (noted -2 and +2 in the screenshot below)
- version from Aug the 24th 2021 : the indicator can now display 4 additional lines : -3, -4 and +3, +4 lines.
Need more configurable parameters and automatic strategies usage? Check the PRO version
Why is the VWAP line important ?
The Volume Weighted Average Price is very useful because this average price is considered as a good price by trading institutions. When they have a big order to split, a good way to do this is to wait for the price to retrace back to VWAP to add to their position.
And because it is so much used, this line often acts as support/resistance.
What are the standard deviation lines for ?
The standard deviation lines 1 and 2 represent a mathematical standard deviation calculation from VWAP. Theses lines can help you to :
- see when the price is contracting or expanding because the lines will contract or expand too
- have a visual guide to where the price is. For instance, if the price is near the standard deviation +2 line, you will have to be careful while buying because you know the price is overextended already.
How to show the VWAP line only and disable the standard deviation lines?
The standard deviation lines are configurable in the indicator’s properties. You can enable and disable the standard deviation 2 lines, or the standard deviation 1 lines, or even all of them to show the VWAP line only.
Why are my chart candles contracted at the top or bottom of my window?
Ninjatrader will try to keep all the candles + all the indicator lines displayed in the same window, but when the price is overextended (ie heavily bought or sold) the candles will not be centered in the window anymore.
To solve this, you will need to uncheck the “Auto scale” parameter from the indicator properties (see previous screenshot).
Want more? We have a pro version
|Feature||FREE version||PRO version|
|Display VWAP line||X||X|
|Display/hide 4 band lines above and below VWAP||X||X|
|Can use Standard deviation for bands calculation||X||X|
|Can use static points number for bands deviation||X|
|Can use a average true range value for bands deviation||X|
|Standard deviation and ATR period are configurable||X|
|All 9 lines can be used in Strategy builder (or manual coding)||X|
You will receive the PRO version file with the documentation in your Paypal email within 24 hours after the payment (65 euros).
All futures updates and bug fixes are included lifetime, you will receive it by email at no extra cost.